My dog ate some of my ibuprofen. Do I need to worry about it?
This is a loaded question. I would need to know the weight of the dog and exactly how much he ate to determine whether the dose was in the toxic range. A large labrador can safely consume much more that a toy poodle simply because it is so much bigger. In general, ibuprofen is not a good drug to give to a dog (or any pet for that matter) in any quantity. Common side effects at normal or slightly high doses include stomach upset or ulceration with vomiting, anorexia, or diarrhea. At higher doses you could see increased thirst, bloody stool, depression, staggering, increased frequency of urination, or even seizures. It is a good idea to get your vet involved right away and call a poison control hotline. There is a small fee for the hotlines listed below:
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Hotline at (888) 426-4435
- Pet Poison Helpline at (800) 213-6680
In the event that the dog consumed a toxic dose and the ingestion occurred within a few hours, your vet will advise induction of vomiting (usually performed in the vet hospital). In addition, doses of activated charcoal will be given to help neutralize the toxins and tests may be performed to better assess the damage and help guide further treatments.
The prognosis with ibuprofen overdose depends on how much was consumed, the size of the dog (or other pet), and how quickly treatment was started.
If you have a veterinary question that you would like to propose for an upcoming edition, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ask the vet” in the subject line.
Max Conn, DVM is the owner of Cat & Exotic Care of the CentralCoast, a full service veterinary hospital dedicated to the special needs of cats, birds, reptiles and small mammals. Cat & Exotic Care is located in PismoCoastPlaza, 565 Five Cities Drive, 805-773-0228. More information can be found at www.catandexoticcare.com.
Disclaimer: The informational handouts and website links above are for informational purposes only, they are not intended to replace veterinary care.